Quandry(was Help needed in Tuolumne County) [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 3 12:48:46 PDT 2002

I deal with this all the time.  My problem is I don't know how to say
NO.  Small off-grid systems that are totally scabbed together and in
desperate need of work and upgrades.  They have no money.

We have learned really well that if we "touch it" its ours.  That is
why we charge full price for full system check out and replace every
item in question and add every part that was left out. We do not agree
to only fix some of the items.  If they do not agree or do not have
the money, we cannot help them, period.  I have referred them to
others and suggested other solutions that do not involve us, but we
cannot get involved if they cannot pay to fix it right.

I know a local consulting engineering firm that was "asked" to
volunteer their time to re-design the electrical system (at no fee)
for an old house being renovated by local volunteers to make a Ronald
McDonald Home for a children's hospital.  You guessed it, the firm was
sued because some old wiring inside some of the walls that were not
renovated or even part of the new work was bad and failed inspection.
The fact that they received no fee to provide the engineering did not
change the fact that they "bought it" once they had staff on site and
provided a plan for the upgrade.       P.S. The volunteers that did
the work were not sued.

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com