DC sub pumps [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Thu Sep 26 14:18:49 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
>I recently was called by a client with a 2 year old Sureflow 9300
>submersible pump. It is running on a 12 volt battery system.
>
>The pump seemed to be OK at first. However, after it ran for about 5
>minutes it tripped the breaker on the circuit would no longer operate -
>presenting a dead short at the top of the well.  I had to get back to
>Vancouver so the client pulled the  pump today and I haven't had a
>chance to inspect it.
>
>I'm debating talking the client into an inverter and AC pump or trying a
>DC submersible again.
>
>Any one else encounter this kind of failure?
>I've stayed away from DC sub pumps in the past and this was my first and
>only.
>
>Eric Smiley

Eric,

Either the pump is jammed so motor reads as a near-short, or -- MOST
LIKELY -- the wiring at the plug on the pump was done with a little
too much insulation gap, or the little wee setscrews that hold the
wires into the plug were a bit loose or stripped, and there is a
direct short inside the plug.

I'll bet my lunch that it's the wires in the plug. In that case, it's
not so hard to fix, but you must follow the mfgr's instructions when
reassembling the plug. It's not hard, just not obvious exactly how to
do it. Beware, a replacement plug is very expensive. However, unless
the screws are stripped, you shouldn't have any problem repairing the
wiring.

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com