High Voltage Charge Controller [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Wed Aug 28 16:03:03 PDT 2002

What about this for a solution to my long 48 volt DC run?  Don't laugh until
you think about it a little bit.  I bet it's been done before.

8 modules in series for a MPP of 136 volts charging 18 six volt batteries in
series.  Take the time to calculate how well that matches up.  Pretty much
automatically temp compensates.  Of course the power point would be lower
most of the year but that's fine as it's still well above the float voltage.
 Since this is a grid tied back up system the batteries wouldn't regularly
need a bulk charge.   If you aren't laughing yet just wait...  Now take and
tap the first 9 batteries with one 48 volt inverter then tap the next 9 with
another 48 volt inverter.

Plus. I don't need any charge controllers.  I would have to get a blocking
diode in the system.

Not that I'm seriously considering doing this but I do believe it could
work.  Note, I didn't say "work well".

ducking

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services