Not ready for prime time (was: ETA Pumps) [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Mon Aug 19 08:19:50 PDT 2002

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

I recently had a MorningStar lighting controller fail out of the box.  Thank
goodness I had set it up at the shop before I drove three hours one way to
install it.

It took a few days and MorningStar finally got back to me with an RMA in
which they asked me to return it (at my expense of course), which they would
test then send me a replacement.  I CC'd them an email in which I told my
supplier that I would like to return the failed MorningStar and get a B.Z.
lighting controller instead. I also said that I would no longer use
MorningStar controllers as I did not use products whose manufacturers did
not send "call tags" for and that I got paid to install products not put
them in shipping boxes and wait for a replacement.

Within hours of that email I received and email from the Chairman of
MorningStar, Lee Gordon.  He was very apologetic and assured me the his
products were very reliable (etc) and was concerned that my experience had
tainted my thoughts of his company.  Bam! my chance..  I politely replied
that if his products were so reliable then ought to be able to have a more
liberal return policy and suggested that the policy should be as follows.
When notified of a failed product immediately get a replacement out and
include a pre-labeled postage paid return box for the failed unit.  He
replied the next day, and that they just had a meeting to discuss this and
my replacement was on its way and that was going to be their new policy.

Dang that was easy.  Lets all not forget to really complain to the
suppliers, distributors and manufacturers when they let us down.  Some of
them will step up the plate and do the right thing.  Either way let the
Wrenches list know what they do.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com