generator question [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Tue Aug 13 21:20:37 PDT 2002

Todd,

I have had good results with Kohler's over the years. Easy two wire remote
start. Easy rewire to 120v full power if desired.
Some Oman's have been difficult to remote start.

Liking the new inverter generators from Honda and Yamaha (see posts on this
subject from a few months ago primarily from Travis). Incredible charging
performance when working with inverter/chargers (i.e. 2,800 watt Yamaha =
performance of 6.5 Kohler). I have not seen either of these units in LP yet.
Check with Honda on their 3K inverter gen to see if they will be offering LP
and remote start. Another good feature of these small gensets is that they
only have 120v output so they are always balanced. But keep in mind these
are small generators and they have breakers protecting them from trying to
power too much of a surge. Powering small air compressors etc is a problem,
I think that the gen could run some of the loads but the breaker trips
quickly.

Recently did a job with a Honda EM6000GP (regular Honda gen with factory LP)
that we added a Honda remote start kit on. It works well.

Dave

<<I have a customer looking for a backup generator to feed a SW4024
running an off grid (solar / micro hydro) system. He wants a propane
unit and has looked at Onan, Kohler and Honda's. He checked with the
local electrical house in town and they recommend (what they sell)
Generac units. What do list members suggest when looking for a generator
that will run off of propane and see relatively little use?

Do any generators allow for 120 volt winding paralleling, or do you have
to run them unbalanced or add a 240 to 120 transformer... and how
important is it to do that?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and information.

Todd Cory>>

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm