generator question [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Tue Aug 13 20:17:13 PDT 2002

Todd,

If your customer can live without automation, you might consider the
upper-end Yamahas or Hondas.     It's possible to automate the Onan without
much hassle, same goes for Kohler, but the new Onans in the smaller size
ranges are designed to fit it in very small spaces, like under the rear of a
motor-home forinstance. To do this they cram everything into too small a
space, which makes working on them a pain.
 I prefer Kohler over all of the (beautifully made) Japanese sets because
the latter are very difficult to control remotely. (If anyone else has had a
different experience I'd like to know) The Kohler is pre-wired for remote so
it's a snap. At least with the ones I've met.

I sell Lister/Petter sets because they will run virtually forever, but they
cost over twice as much as the mass produced equipment. What R U gonna do?!

By the way, the problem with the Japanese stuff is that they seem to treat
their generators like they are cars; all the wiring is crammed behind the
control panel, some of it in looms, with no labeled connections, terminal
strips or lugs. You have to trace the (sometimes wrong) color-coded wires to
their points of connection (your model may differ). But boy are they ever
quiet and smoooothe!

Good Luck

Matt

- - - -