E-W Roof Tops [RE-wrenches]

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Mon Jul 15 17:13:38 PDT 2002

Peter:

Yes, I think you have it!

Just to be thorough:

If you have multiple strings and multiple inverters, e.g. 4 total
strings with 2 strings East and 2 strings West, the best configuration
is both East strings to one inverter and both West to the other
inverter.  This gives you the maximum from each array independently of
what is happening on the other array.  As you noted, this is one of the
big reasons for string inverters - the best from each array, all the
time.

I am a little unclear on your last question.  The best way to estimate
power output for the teeter totter is to look at it as 2 separate
systems - one facing East and one facing West.  You take the "ideal"
output estimate for each system and add the two together.  B. Brooks
mentioned some of these estimating tools in one of his posts.  Compare
this to the other possible array configurations and make a decision on
that first.  Now the question remaining is how much less power will the
single inverter solution produce compared to the ideal dual inverter
solution.  Given the ratio of installed inverter cost to installed array
cost it better be less than a 10% penalty or you should be thinking hard
about a second inverter.  Frankly I do not >> think << it will be that
much.

This will all get easier one we have the 2500, the 1800, the 1100 and
the 700.  Right now it is hard to justify 2 2500's when one will do.  2
1800's or 1100's may be a completely different story.

Best Regards,

John Berdner