jet contrails and solar output [RE-wrenches]

Tom Elliot, Guffey Energy Works telliot at wagonmaker.com
Thu Jul 11 12:03:54 PDT 2002

Actually, I saw the previous NASA administrator Dan Goldin in a press
conference where he described the studies NASA has done re: contrails and
their effect on weather.  Apparently they have been studying this for a long
time and concluded that the impact was so severe that they were canceling
the work on a hypersonic transport because the negative impact on weather
from such persistent high altitude contrails was potentially severe enough
to cause concern.

Contrails will spread over time and given enough moisture at the right
altitudes and enough traffic through a particular area, can produce an
identifiable persistent local weather pattern, including negative impacts on
insolation and increased localized precipitation.

The Arizona and Colorado fires left us with such severe smoke and haze that
our PV output was cut by a minimum of 30%, some days more.

Tom