panel comparison [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 15 10:43:32 PDT 2002

Jay,

Thanks for the info. You have to go back to Home Power June/July 2001 to find the
last Uni-Solar corporate ad that reads "providing up to 25% more real power over
other solar cell technologies." Uni-Solar does a good job boasting that their
amorphous modules outperform crystalline PV. Parts of a Dutch report
ftp://ftp.ecn.nl/pub/www/library/report/2000/c00067.pdf read like a Uni-Solar
sales brochure. "the United Solar module is exceptional" "Thin-film modules show
high performance ratios and some have excellent low light level characteristics."

However, the difference between a-Si and crystalline is within the plus/minus
uncertainty level according to an article in Sandia's PV program quarterly Volume
3, 2000. Years ago, Keith Emery at the NREL explained that instrument variations
are plus/minus 5%. I say that when irradiance and temperature are factored in, PV
power and energy readings are plus/minus 10% accurate at best.

Customers vote with their pocket books and crystalline PV continues to be command
over 80% of the market.

Joel Davidson

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm