roofers [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Fri May 31 13:51:54 PDT 2002

Three reasons why PV go on the roof is open land may be scarce, the roof may be
the only sunny location and running wire and conduit to the service panel or
equipment room is easier.

A good roofer is a valuable asset. If you don't have a good roofer, find one. If
you can't find a good roofer, consider starting your own roofing company. If you
become a good roofer, you will make more money doing roofs so you support your
PV habit. Similarly, I know a long-time solar heating contractor who was having
a hard time finding good plumbers so he started a plumbing business. Within 2
years, his plumbing business was doing more monthly revenue at a higher profit
than his solar work.

(f anyone happens to go by the little league field at Lafayette, California,
please tell me if the 19 ft geodesic dome snack shack that I built in April 1971
is still there. The 3/8 inch plywood skin was flashed with 6 inch aluminum,
half-lapped with 30 pound felt and covered with 3-tab comp shingles. I'll bet it
is still not leaking.)

Tom Simko wrote:

>  The below is why I pole mount, roofers and PV is like a bull in a china
> shop, not a good combination! I was/am a journeyman carpenter and I can
> assure you the roofers are at the bottom of the food chain in the
> construction scene, and re-roofers are below them! I have been fortunate so
> far in being able to always pole mount, I talk my customers out of roof
> mounting as I can see it being a pain down the road, whereas the pole mounts
> NEVER need to be messed with. I guess if its a surburban environment the
> looks might count, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder! PV on a roof to
> my carpenter's eyes looks like trouble, and I will only go that route if
> there are NO other options.
>
> Tom Simko
> Skyline Solar
> Idaho