CA C-46 License reworking [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Wed May 15 01:03:48 PDT 2002

Matt, Graham, and others,

There has been a lot of misconceptions talked about relating to the C-46
reworking. There is absolutely no push at the Contractor Licensing Board
(CLB) to restrict PV work to the C-46 license. The only thing going on right
now is a revision of the C-46 license. This ONLY applies to NEWCOMERS to the
solar industry. There is no retesting or relicensing required.

The CLB simply has new rules that they must update licensing exams every 5
years to keep up with changes in a field. The C-46, Solar Contractor exam
has never been revised, it is very dated, was never very good at testing
thermal systems, and never had anything on PV. We, and many other people in
the solar industry from both the thermal and PV sides are pushing to get
half of the questions on the test relate to PV. About 99.9% of the newcomers
to solar are focused on the big rebates in PV, so that is the most important
part of the test in the near term.

There is a voluntary certification process that will be set up based and a
bill that was signed by the Governor last September. This will likely be
based on the NABCEP national requirements, that, by the way have changed
quite a bit and will be recirculated fairly soon.

So, don't start a big campaign to stop something that isn't happening. The
changes in the works are very positive. Thanks for getting involved Matt and
Graham, and thanks to all the others who have bothered to get involved to
help our industry get better by helping to revise the C-46 exam.

Bill.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm