CA C-46 License reworking [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty pvpro at attbi.com
Sun May 12 19:03:53 PDT 2002

Graham:

Well said.  I find that the "cross-trade" aspects of PV create a "special
circumstance".  I, too, used to receive requests from the homeowners to
perform other Non-PV work when doing a PV Install.  As a C-10 and long-time
electrical contractor, I was more than qualified to do this work.  Since I
was installing the PV on behalf of SMUD, I declined every time.

Your policy to stick to what it is that you do and are licensed to do
demonstrates integrity.  I endorse & applaud yourself and others with that
same policy.

On the topic of LA's Mayor’s Solar Installation Executive Focus Group, keep
up the good fight!  (Are you sure you want Joel with you??? lol)

Regarding union intervention and the inverter manufacturers:  Damned
Straight!  It goes a step further, though.  Quality, code-compliant,
reliable installations are necessary as well.

My earlier reference to Electricity Police was for these reasons.  We, as a
group will ultimately have our future determined relating to the unions,
etc.  We can, and should, apply solid principles and integrity in our
installations and selection of products to achieve self-determination.

Policing will and should happen on every job.  There are two basic methods:
1) We self-police in some manner or, 2) They police for us.

I prefer the first.  I apply the first.  By applying the first, locally at
least, the number of legitimate Correction Notices is nil.  Our largest
issues have been in the permitting stages.  When it comes to Correction
Notices, I think we have received 2 valid ones out of over 200 systems
installed.  In the case where the technicality was an oversight on my part,
I have made sure to incorporate that into every installation since.  The
other was a breakdown in our policing (the conduit support blocking on the
roof had no adhesive between it and the roof....Bad SMUD police!  Bad
Contractor!)  Let's not go down my personal "heartburn alley" here over
whether or not the building inspectors even know what they are looking
at....I do my best to teach them.

I believe that the overall message is this:  If we don't want the PV
Industry to endure the black eye of Solar Thermal....If we don't want to be
subject to ungodly regulation and restraints....If we want to be
respected....If we want to put glass where it does the most good....If we
want to feel good that we are turning the Gift of Sunshine into useful
electricity.... WE, not them, need to do our jobs right, provide feedback to
manufacturers in all manners available and work collectively to establish
and achieve goals that incorporate the needs of all, not just US.

Pray for Sun!

-Matt Lafferty
pvpro at attbi.com

Graham said:

> Wrenches,
>
> I have had a few off list inquiries as to why as a C46 (California
> licensed solar energy contractor) would not want to have a C10
> electrical license?  My answer is the same as why I do not desire to
> have a C36 plumber’s license.  My focus is strictly on installing and
> servicing solar equipment.  It is not uncommon while working at a home
> to be asked by the homeowner if I will fix or work on other small
> non-related plumbing and electrical jobs.  I don’t fix toilets or rewire
> garbage disposals.  I inform customers that I am only licensed to work
> on solar energy equipment and do not touch other plumbing and electrical
> systems within the home. (Ok – I have over the years helped out a few
> people).  A number of months ago I began studying for a C10 exam and
> realized that much of the information did not relate to PV.  I think it
> was Einstein that something to the effect that: If you fill your brain
> with insignificant facts there will not be enough room for the
> information that really matters.
>
> The average plumber is not familiar with solar heating systems and the
> average electrician is also equally unfamiliar with PV.  (I fully
> realize this does not include the electricians on the Wrenches List.)
> When a homeowner in Los Angeles is interested in finding a solar
> installer they look up the category Solar Installation Companies in the
> yellow pages.  Not under plumbers or electricians to find a trades
> person that does solar on the side.
>
> It has taken over 15 years for the solar industry to recover from the
> problems associated with the last round of subsidies.  Many people in
> L.A. thought of solar companies as marketing scammers and crooks. When
> this round of rebates ends it will be the solar contractors that are
> hurt by a bad reputation not electricians and plumbers.  It is essential
> for the solar industry in California to remain respectable.
>
> I am very much looking forward to this week’s trip to Sacramento.  I
> plan on gathering as much information as possible as well as providing
> as much information as possible.  As mentioned previously things have
> become very political.  Joel Davidson and myself will be meeting for the
> third time in Los Angeles tomorrow as members of the Mayor’s Solar
> Installation Executive Focus Group.  Joel and I have a hard time keeping
> the agenda at these meetings on topics relevant to the success of our
> industry as opposed to agendas the city and other entities have.  Lets
> all stay united and keep up the good fight.  The last thing our industry
> needs is union intervention.  What we do need is for inverter
> manufactures to stop putting grid-tie products on the market before
> glitches have been remedied.  This is what is drawing the attention of
> the union people.
>
> Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com