CA C-46 License reworking [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Sun May 12 16:39:01 PDT 2002

Wrenches,

I have had a few off list inquiries as to why as a C46 (California
licensed solar energy contractor) would not want to have a C10
electrical license?  My answer is the same as why I do not desire to
have a C36 plumber’s license.  My focus is strictly on installing and
servicing solar equipment.  It is not uncommon while working at a home
to be asked by the homeowner if I will fix or work on other small
non-related plumbing and electrical jobs.  I don’t fix toilets or rewire
garbage disposals.  I inform customers that I am only licensed to work
on solar energy equipment and do not touch other plumbing and electrical
systems within the home. (Ok – I have over the years helped out a few
people).  A number of months ago I began studying for a C10 exam and
realized that much of the information did not relate to PV.  I think it
was Einstein that something to the effect that: If you fill your brain
with insignificant facts there will not be enough room for the
information that really matters.

The average plumber is not familiar with solar heating systems and the
average electrician is also equally unfamiliar with PV.  (I fully
realize this does not include the electricians on the Wrenches List.)
When a homeowner in Los Angeles is interested in finding a solar
installer they look up the category Solar Installation Companies in the
yellow pages.  Not under plumbers or electricians to find a trades
person that does solar on the side.

It has taken over 15 years for the solar industry to recover from the
problems associated with the last round of subsidies.  Many people in
L.A. thought of solar companies as marketing scammers and crooks. When
this round of rebates ends it will be the solar contractors that are
hurt by a bad reputation not electricians and plumbers.  It is essential
for the solar industry in California to remain respectable.

I am very much looking forward to this week’s trip to Sacramento.  I
plan on gathering as much information as possible as well as providing
as much information as possible.  As mentioned previously things have
become very political.  Joel Davidson and myself will be meeting for the
third time in Los Angeles tomorrow as members of the Mayor’s Solar
Installation Executive Focus Group.  Joel and I have a hard time keeping
the agenda at these meetings on topics relevant to the success of our
industry as opposed to agendas the city and other entities have.  Lets
all stay united and keep up the good fight.  The last thing our industry
needs is union intervention.  What we do need is for inverter
manufactures to stop putting grid-tie products on the market before
glitches have been remedied.  This is what is drawing the attention of
the union people.

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com