CA C-46 License reworking [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Wed May 15 11:54:25 PDT 2002

Bill,

Thanks for the informative update.  I will try my best to include good
questions that pertain to PV in the C46 exam development.  C46
contractors also need to be equally knowledgeable with respect to
thermal applications since this half of the industry is not affected by
fluctuating incentives.   This technology has also survived in the
residential market place without incentives for over 15 years now.

Here is the latest from Los Angeles.  LADWP has been locking down
systems since April 19th.  From my meeting with the LADWP they have
their hands tied at the moment by the IBEW.  The IBEW and LADWP meeting
a couple of weeks ago did not provide any quick solutions to the
lockdown.  Hopefully this issue will be focused on at the next meeting
in June.

This lockdown has stopped my PV installation activities for the time
being in LADWP territory.  I truly believe this is not utility
obfuscation instead it is the efforts of a union to gain a measure of
control and influence in the PV industry.  I hope this is all handled
very delicately considering the tenuous position of the solar industry
at this time. As of today there is no clear indication as to a date
certain this issue will be resolved

Below I have re-typed the letter that LADWP gives to homeowners when
they lock out the PV.

April 25, 2002

Dear Los Angeles Department of Water and Power Solar Power Customer:

Thank you for your participation in the LADWP Solar Power Incentive
Program.  By installing a solar electric system at your home, you’re
helping to reduce air pollution and global warming, and pave the way for
a future based on renewable energy.

The Department is in the process of enhancing its internal procedures
pertaining to the interconnection of solar photovoltaic (PV) systems to
our utility grid, in order to insure the safety of our field workers.
As a result of this process, your PV system has been temporarily
disconnected (the PV system disconnect switch has been turned on and the
breaker box has been padlocked).

We anticipate that it will require approximately two to three weeks to
complete this process, at which time the padlock will be removed.
Typically, we ask customers to turn on the disconnected switch, rather
than having our employees do so. Most disconnect switches are of two
types: a switch or a fuse system, but all disconnect switches are
located within eight feet of your LADWP electrical meter.  If you
prefer, you can request that a department employee turn on the switch
rather than doing it yourself, by calling Mr. Darryl Gordon at (213)
367-3250.  Please leave a daytime phone number.

The Department will automatically credit your electric bill to
compensate for the PV system-generated electricity that was not fed into
your home and the grid.  At a minimum, you will receive a $50 credit, or
a credit equal to the actual output of your PV system, whichever is
higher. (The latter is calculated by taking the total output of your PV
system x 5.5 hours/day x total number of days the system was
disconnected x your electricity rate).

We appreciate your patience and support of solar power.  Should you have
any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact Mr. Gordon
at the number above.

The LADWP Solar Power Group

End of quote:

Bill I have a question for you.  If a branch of a utility grid that
serves a couple of hundred homes, each of which are PV powered and
back-feeding, can the inverters continue to stay hot and synchronizing,
due to the combined output of so many inverters energizing that section
of grid, even if the grid drops out?

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com