CA C-46 License reworking [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty pvpro at attbi.com
Sun May 12 08:51:13 PDT 2002

Jerry Wrote:

If the state is going to require licenced
C-10 contractors to use ibew for pv, then why don´t
they require it for all electrical installations?

Jerry/Wrenches:

Sssssshhhhh!!!!  Don't give them any more bright ideas.

Most C-10's are aware of the "apprenticeship requirement" relating to
Electrical work in California.  This is BS, since it requires anyone working
with electrical equipment over 100 watts to either be a "Journeyman" or
enrolled in a State Approved Apprenticeship program.  I received the
approved apprenticeship programs from the Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Apprenticeship Standards offices throughout the state.  They
are, if not actual IBEW, defacto union sponsored programs.

2 months ago a bill was sponsored to specifically require PV to follow this
same protocol.  I personally wrote a bunch of letters, did a bunch of
research, etc.  While none of my letters were responded to, the bill was
completely re-written into a Water Rights bill.  Not one word of PV!  Thank
the Gods of Sunshine, this time.

This was pushed through by the IBEW.  Many, if not most, C-10's are likely
not in full compliance with this.  Without going into a full-blown diatribe
on this subject....I've done enough screaming about it for the past two
years, suffice it to say that we should all do our work in a workmanlike and
professional manner.  When the Electricity Police start pushing for
compliance (it's coming, hopefully not too soon) all Californians will be
hurt except the unions.

If we haven't conducted ourselves in a professional manner, the ammunition
will be all theirs.  If any California Wrenches would like links to the
relevant statutory info, DIR stuff, etc., let me know, off-list.  I will put
together a ZIP file to send you.

-Matt Lafferty
pvpro at attbi.com

- - - -