Utility required disconnect [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Wed May 8 22:30:23 PDT 2002

John,

NH does do it this way.

In Vermont, where electrons are more dangerous, the utility claims that
different people are required to pull a meter than the folks who work on
the lines. So they'd need to send a special person out. Of course it's
interesting that the largest VT company has some customers in NH too.

There is also an option on most homes that is accessible to the line crew,
and that is to pull the fuse at the transformer lead. I'm not sure if its
on the input or output from the transformer, but its at the pole, so line
guys and girls are ok with it. Around here, most every home has a
transformer to itself, as we're all spread out. (or maybe I'm just
stretched thin).

It's been very interesting to sit in rule making hearings and listen to the
utility folks discuss how they CANNOT pull a meter under load due to
arcing. Of course we asked about how they do customer shutdowns, but it
came down to one of those "we're the authorities on this" and "union rules"
things that I was describing earlier, and the PSB bought it.

Jeff

On Wednesday, May 08, 2002 9:20 PM, jberdner at sma-america.com

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm