Utility required disconnect [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Wed May 8 18:38:31 PDT 2002

When Wayne Gould worked at Southern California Edison, he was a strong PV
supporter and the voice of reason. He told SCE that they did not need a
locking disconnect because they could always pull their meter if necessary.
Wayne left SCE (and California) in 1996, but SCE continues to not require a
disconnect. The point is nurture support from utility Friends Of PV and life
will be better.

If it were just a switch, then it would not be a big deal. Just do it. But
each utility makes its own rules and often changes the rules or uses the
rules to win the game. The bad news is that many utility managers and many
PV contractors have the same "us vs. them" attitude. Bill, Chuck and others
are right about winning people over instead of pissing them off. True,
sometimes you have to piss back, but preventive maintenance is easier than
damage control.

jberdner at sma-america.com wrote:

> Wrenches:
>
> There is a zero cost visible blade disconnect on every home.
> It is called the kWH meter and utilities all over the country routinely
> use it as a lock out means of disconnect for customers who do not pay
> their bills.
> Firemen use it too during fires except they use an axe to remove it
> (Thanks Chris F. for this reference).

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm