Insurance [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Mon Mar 18 15:04:56 PST 2002

Hello Kurt,

What is the insurance for exactly?  There has been some talk of insurance
here in MO during the recent hearings on net metering legislation.  What I
understand is that's it's to cover the homeowner should the back feeding
equipment injure a utility lineman or damage others' electrical equipment.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

If the back feeding equipment meets applicable standards then the
manufacturer is liable.  Are the utilities saying that they don't trust
equipment that they install every day, certified to the same standards by
same people who are certifying the interconnection equipment.

If that fails then it's the dealer/installer who should be liable for
selling equipment that doesn't work properly.  I do lot's of industrial
electrical contracting in factories.  I carry product liability insurance
and have for years.  It covers me should equipment I install fail causing
property damage or personal injury.  Should I ever need it, I'm covered and
get released of any lawsuits the my insurance company then goes after the
manufacturer to reclaim their losses.

It appears that requiring homeowners to have insurance is just another
roadblock the utilities are throwing up.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm