Insurance [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Mon Mar 18 15:15:57 PST 2002

Greetings all,

It seems like a pretty quiet Wrenches period and wonder if I could ask a
question that has received very little discussion in the past.

Wisconsin is in the process of developing a State wide Iiterconnection
document so that all utilities, their customers and renewable energy
installers can agree upon one set standard.  In WI, the requirement of
the home-owner to submit documented proof of liability insurance (300k
min.) is still a requirement.  This can throw a major wrench in the
works as some home owner's policies will not cover such such an
arangement between the home owner and the utility.  In these cases, an
expensive comercial policy may be the only fix.

Can those of you out there who are installing grid-tie systems please
tell us how it works in your State or region?

1) Are your utilities requiring documented proof of liability coverage
in grid-connected RE systems, and if so what amount?

3. Has insurance requirements presented an obstacle towards the sale and
installation of grid-tied RE systems.

Thanks much for any and all responses.  You may contact me off-list if
appropriate.

Kurt Nelson
SOLutions
sunwise at cheqnet.net