ST2500 vs. SB 2500 [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Wed Feb 20 07:56:15 PST 2002

Colleagues:

I decided awhile ago to stop whining about the ST inverters and just use
the Sunny Boy units instead, but since you asked...

Our problems with ST inverters continues.  As recently as last week one of
our clients had an ST fail for the second time.  He brought it back and
said he was done with it.  He's willing to wait for the SB1100.  We've had
to replaced many ST inverters twice.  We usually have to ask two or three
times for the replacement to be sent and wait weeks for it to arrive.  The
replacements have knock-outs missing indicating they are not new
replacements but reconditioned units with new serial numbers.

I'm sorry to have to speak badly about the ST inverters.  The people I've
gotten to know at Trace are all decent people, and the SW inverters are not
a bad unit, especially when looking at the competition.  Hopefully common
knowledge about these problems is a good thing for the industry, which is
why I am responding to the request for first hand knowledge.

Too bad that the STs are not working out as hoped.  They have some nice
features including scalability, built in DC and AC disconnects and metering.

Not one failure yet with the SB2500 inverters.  One display got flakey and
John Berdner sent a replacement, no questions, ASAP.
They are clean, quiet, efficient, reliable and have great monitoring
options.  (I am anxious to have the power line data units available.)

We like the high voltage feed.  It has cut down on time and materials to
install. SMA has been very forthcoming about design parameters, the Excel
spreadsheet is very good as a tool.  SMA issued a white paper dealing with
code compliance issues, something I took right to the head inspector for
the County, and he signed off on it.  This type of support is gold in my
opinion, it takes away headaches.

Thanks for the opportunity to check in on the subject.

William Miller

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com

This email was sent to: michael.welch at homepower.com