ST2500 vs. SB 2500 [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Tue Feb 19 20:50:19 PST 2002

Bob Galbreath wrote:
> Joel's customers are apparently happy with their Sun Ties. I'd be
> interested to know what the current feeling of the Wrench list is
> regarding mid-size, residential, grid-tied, batteryless inverters.
> Did "XR" fix the ST's power limitations? Is the SB's high-voltage on
> the roof a problem or a benefit?
>
> Bob Galbreath
> Geo-Lite Systems

Hi Bob,

I really enjoyed meeting and talking to you last week in L.A., there are
not many people in town with your hands on PV experience.  There sure is
allot of PV being installed at this time and I love it.  I am also
pleased to see many newcomers who care about PV technology,
craftsmanship and the future of our industry. This is big city and we
need as many competent solar installers as possible and helping the new
guys helps our image as a whole.

I have been tracking the performance and reliability of our grid
connected inverters as well as checking out jobs done by other
contractors (at their request).  Yesterday at noon with a clear sky 32
SP-75’s connected to two GC-1000’s were supplying 13.8 Amps AC to the
grid. We have mostly installed AEI’s and a few SW’s and they are both
proving relatively reliable, with a failure rate of about 1 in 20.  The
newer inverters with recent modifications have been 100% reliable, so
far.  Last weekend I went by a few installations that are approaching
one year in service and no problems were encountered.

I talk to a number of the new guys on the phone and SMA inverters have
become very popular for a number of reasons.  They are relatively small,
lightweight, efficient and easy to install.  Pulling 3 wires per
inverter sure sounds much easier than pulling 9.  Also not having to
panelize modules and hoist groups of four onto rooftops allows for a
one-man crew.  I am getting the feeling that Trace SW’s are the best for
off grid and AEI’s and SMA’s are best for on grid (please correct me if
I am mistaken). Perhaps the difference between inverters can be compared
to the difference between BMW motorcycles and Harleys.  They are both
great for their intended consumer.  Some people like to tinker and some
like to forget.  Now back to your question “Is the SB's high-voltage on
the roof a problem or a benefit?”  I honestly don’t know, but being an
excited and willing solar guinea pig makes me want to install some.
Heat-shrink tubing will be installed around all quick connects and I
will wait for jobs getting new tile roof’s (fire-proof) being installed
at the same time as the solar.

Graham Owen
GO Solar Company

- - - -