Roof mounting [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 16 11:42:45 PST 2002

Since you mentioned time consuming institutional jobs, here is The
Davidson Formula for estimating the real time it takes to do a job.
1. Estimate how long it should take to do the job.
2. Multiply your estimate times two.
3. Change the result to the next time unit.
Example one: You estimate that a job will take 2 days to complete. 2
days = 4 weeks.
Example two: You estimate that a job will take 10 minutes to complete.
10 minutes = 20 hours.
Caution: Use extreme care when estimating personal home improvements
"should only take a year or two, dear." :-)

mrousso at urbanrefuge.com wrote:

> Totally agree!  In my life as a utility consultant for
> 17 years, I have dealt with many different types of
> agencies/institutions with entrenched bureaucracies.
> We developed an equation to keep us on track in
> pushing projects through.  And this equation applies
> to every stakeholder!
>
> R=V*U*S/T
>
> Where:
> R=resistance to the project
> V=clarity of the project vision (what's in it for me?)
> U=urgency (why does it have to be done now?)
> S=solution (does it make my life easier and do I have
> to do anything?)
> T=the time you're willing to put into proseletizing V,
> U, and S.
>
> Obviously, it is a very time consuming process and it
> is key to identify all stakeholders and gatekeepers in
> advance.  Otherwise, you get screwed along the way.
>
> This is why anytime we are presented with the
> opportunity to pursue an "institutional" project we
> ask ourselves are the margins worth the pain!
>
> Sorry to go off topic.
>
> =====
> Thanks!
> Mo