NABCEP [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Thu Dec 19 13:37:30 PST 2002

Bill , Joel and All,

I believe the CAL SEIA position is well thought out and appropriate,
especially considering there are no NABCEP certified installers, yet.
The last thing we need at this time is for our industry to have another
sudden stoppage, for any reason.  It is obvious the certification
requirement is gaining momentum and will inevitably play a significant
and hopefully “voluntary” role in the future of our industry.  I don’t
have a crystal ball that displays how this will all pan out, but I do
know that NABCEP has at the very least caused division amongst
stakeholders. Almost all of the CAL SEIA members I have spoken to are
for various reasons opposed to this  “mandatory-voluntary”
certification.  It’s all very confusing for me to completely understand
but I have been charged with representing the “Small Contractor” on the
new CAL SEIA Policy Board.  So I have to represent certain issues with
what I believe to be a consensus from the contractor members of CALSEIA.

I spent two days last week in Sacramento (on my dime) and met with CEC
Chairman Keese, three of the commissioners individually, Chairman of the
California Power Authority David Freeman, Senior Policy Advisors to
Governor Davis and State CEO Laura Doll at the Capitol Building and
ended up the day meeting with three CEC commissioners as a group.  They
asked me to stay and testify on the public record the following day,
which I did.  NABCEP was not the focus of these meetings since it seemed
somewhat irrelevant considering there are no certified installers.
There were other issues of a more pressing nature that required
immediate attention and focus.

CAL SEIA submitted the following language to the CEC with respect to
NABCEP.

“The Commission should not mandate certification by the North American
Board of Certified Energy Practitioners or any other certification body
except the California Contractors State License Board.

CAL SEIA is on record with the North American Board of Certified Energy
Practitioners as being opposed to mandatory certification of PV
practitioners (see attached letter).  While the goal of establishing a
benchmark of proficiency for PV practitioners is laudable, California
State Law requires that contractors be properly licensed in order to
sell and install solar systems in the state.  Adding another layer of
mandatory requirements onto those with which contractors must comply is
viewed by a majority of CAL SEIA membership as burdensome and
unnecessary.  Many contractors may well want to become certified when
certification becomes available sometime in 2004, if all goes according
to NABCEP’s plan, however mandating certification as a condition of
program participation is not the best approach in CAL SEIA’s view.  An
alternative approach may be to develop, in the context of the Working
Group, an incentive mechanism linked to the Buydown Program which will
lead contractors to voluntarily seek certification.”

If you belong to CAL SEIA please feel free to contact me off list with
comments.  I believe the majority opinion should prevail, whichever way
it goes.

Graham F. Owen
GO Solar Company
12439 Magnolia Blvd. #132