NABCEP [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Thu Dec 19 14:44:00 PST 2002

Graham,

The CalSEIA response supports the NABCEP approach. I don't see anything
about their response that is bad other than perhaps the heavy-handed
language about making sure NABCEP is not mandatory in the CEC guidebook--got
the message.

I really think it was a misguided provision that did not need this level of
response. The CEC will now probably remove all reference to NABCEP
certification--that would be a shame.

There is far too much emotion about this issue. I would never expect CalSEIA
to be unified on the issue of certification, but many PV installers that
belong to CalSEIA see the benefit of nonmanditory certification--as the
statement suggests. Since you are the new board representative, it is
imperative that you understand fully what this is all about and where folks
are coming from. Rhetoric on either side masks the issues and needlessly
causes hard feelings.

There are far bigger and more clearly black-and-white issues to fight than
certification.

Bill.