efficient 20 cu' Refrigerator/Freezer [RE-wrenches]

James Lamb, Middle Fork Engineering j.lamb at pecorp.com
Mon Dec 2 08:52:05 PST 2002

Todd
In 1992 I bought a Brand New cycle defrost 13.4 cubic foot General Electric
refrigerator for $ 285.00 one day sale 8 years ago. Its design energy usage
is 2 KWH/Day
Its still running using less that a Kilowatt a day. Since the running time
is less that half the time it should last twice as long.
I did this 10 years ago. I guess the manufactures getting there? Why does it
take so long?

The cycle defrost refrigerator requires you to defrost the freezer section
only about 3-4 times a year. The freezer has its separate door and is on
top. The refrigerator section is on the bottom with its separate door and
has an evaporator (cooling) coil in it.  When the compressor is off, the
temp in the refrigerator section (38 degrees) melts the ice on the coil.
There is a small heater on that coil that turns on automatically when the
compressor is not running. This coil is designed to keep the refrigerator
section defrosted in the worst of conditions. I disconnected it and there
was  no frost build up even on hot summer days. If the house is cold the
refrigerator would not work as much and the freezer would still be below
freezing but the ice cream would be soft.

I insulated the inside the freezer section on the non coil surface area
(right and left side of freezer). I also insulated around the outside of the
freezer and refrigerator.  I carefully tilted the evaporator coil  on the
back of the refrigerator to increase air flow around it. I also raised the
refrigerator a few inches off the floor for more air flow around it. By
having the freezer on top, cold travels down, so this helps to use the cold
better. That's why the old wooded refrigerator requires  the ice to be
placed on top.