efficient 20 cu' Refrigerator/Freezer [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Mon Dec 2 09:52:35 PST 2002

James,

This is also a subject around our house lately. We have a 1950 GE, 12 cu ft
"Combination", with a tiny freezer, which needs de-frosting 2X per year. I
love the thing for it's looks and because it uses about 1.2 (less in a cool
year) kWh a day, and it's QUIET. Most new reefers seem to run all the time,
the old ones don't. But, because the freezer's so small, there are forces at
work to get a new one. Oh well.

We found an 18.2 cu ft Kenmore that uses 479 kWhrs/yr, comes with an ice
maker, and costs $450.00. Not as efficient as the 20 cu ft one you found,
but also not as expensive. We were going to get a RF 16 Sunfrost, but, if
you really think about it, would take years and years to make up such a huge
initial price differential; I figure well over 20 years @ $.12 per kWhr.
Hardly worth it!

Matt