NABCEP & Training [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 26 04:01:51 PST 2002

Jeffrey Wolf wrote:
"Never ask a licensed electrician to design, it's beyond the training
and skill level of most. Similarly, it's pretty unusual to find an
engineer who can competently install."

Jeff Yago reply:

I agree.  Since I am a licensed engineer and have been doing hands on
pv installations for over 12 years (and solar thermal for 30 years), I
have learned the hard way what to expect from licensed electricians
doing solar installations.  I have found that I must closely check
their work and size everything for them.  For larger applications I
hire them to just run wires, install conduit, and mount equipment.  I
provide all solar equipment, size and select all wire, and direct
mounting locations.  Although they are up on the NEC as it relates to
installing wiring, they seem to have problems with inverter and array
wiring and grounding, and DC circuits in general.

The bottom line is that being a licensed electrician and understanding
the NEC does not make you a solar installer, and being a solar
installer does not mean you understand the NEC.  This field requires
both training and experience.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm