NABCEP & Training [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Tue Nov 26 08:17:33 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
Jeff, ETAL,
BINGO! You nailed it. Enter NABCEP and the Certified Solar PV
Installer. He/she will require both training and experience to sit
for and to pass the test. Granted that each state should have such a
license class. Hasn't happened, likely won't happen, and if it DID
happen, the IBEW and JATC would control it in more states than you
want to think about. At that point, the independent RE Wrenches in
that state could bend over and kiss their PV goodbye. I've got
nothing against the unions, they have their role to play, but when
ANY organization gets that much control, it will wield it to the
benefit of their brotherhood. By definition, that means exclusivity.
Then there is the whole power corrupts thing.
  Far better, IMO, to get behind a national cert NOW before it gets
out of our hands. That way, when/if states not having a PV license
class get around to it, they are FAR more likely to accept a national
cert even if only on a grandfather basis. YA think?
Best, Bob-O

>The bottom line is that being a licensed electrician and understanding
>the NEC does not make you a solar installer, and being a solar
>installer does not mean you understand the NEC.  This field requires
>both training and experience.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm