NABCEP Update [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Nov 19 19:54:09 PST 2002

Bob-O
Very well written; I'm glad you agreed to do this.

One concern that is not being addressed is that of the experienced but
sloppy installer who can easily qualify to sit for the exam, who can take
tests well (which is a separate talent from knowing the test subject) and
who will get certified, but who continues to do poor and sometimes unsafe
work. This may not be a common occurrence, but I expect to see it.

Certainly the harder the test, the fewer of these types will get the
certification. But the certification structure, and especially the simple
process for maintaining certification, are open to this kind of occasional
bad apple. I would like to see a "peer review board" structure, or a formal
process by which other installers could file documentable complaints about a
particular installer's work. Any ideas on how to set up a manageable
structure for this, that isn't prone to abuse or personal vendetta?

Allan @ Pos Energy