Airborne Building Inspectors [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Thu Oct 31 09:12:20 PST 2002

Hi Joel and wrenches. I have researched this fire as thoroughly as I can. The CDF is trying to withhold the report from me that was done by an E.E. with a forensics background, but I am sure I will get it eventually.

But the bottom line is that they probably cannot prove that the fire was started by the solar electric system.

The article you reference says, "California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection investigators ruled the solar power system was the source of the heat that sparked the blaze."

But that is not true. I talked to the investigator for CDF, and here is the real deal: He told me that "the solar electric system was the only possible cause that could not be ruled out." (Since then he asked me to quote him differently: "the solar electric system was the only possible heat source within the area of origin that could not be eliminated.")

At any rate, "could not be eliminated" is far from "started by the solar electric system."

Joel Davidson wrote at 08:08 PM 10/30/2002 -0800:

>Santa Clara County supervisors decided Monday not to file a lawsuit
>against the owners of the solar power system that allegedly started the
>Croy wildfire. Instead, the county is considering using detailed aerial
>maps to spot structures built without permits in areas at risk for
>wildfires. Then, officials would work to raze the structures or bring
>them into compliance with county building codes and ordinances, said
>Supervisor Don Gage.
>http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/4393838.htm

Michael Welch

------------------------
"As war and government prove, insanity is the most contagious of diseases."
			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com
     Home Power magazine
     www.homepower.com