NABCEP Call for comments [RE-wrenches]

Ezra Auerbach, Xantrex ezra at lasqueti.net
Fri Oct 25 16:19:12 PDT 2002

Hi all,

As a NABCEP board member I worked on these requirements and as I understand
them they are very inclusive to people who have learned the PV trade in non
vocational ways.  I, along with many others have tried pretty hard to make
sure that "real grass roots wrenches" were not left out of the loop.  We
discussed many times the simple fact that many of the "best in the country"
had learned the renewable trade far from "standard" work environments. I
think the requiements make it easy for folks with significant hands-on PV
system installation experience qualify to sit for the exam.  From looking at
the requirements it seems to me the Jeffery would qualify to sit for the
exam under the very first "or" item a)
            4 years of experience installing PV (definition of years of
experience in 3.3 below);

"Years of experience" and "installing" are both defined as follows:

               INSTALLING:  For purposes of this process, experience
installing PV systems requires being in a responsible role in
decision-making on the job. This includes the foreman, supervisor, site
manager responsible for the quality of the installation, or experienced
person performing the trade without supervision. There may be several
workers that do not carry responsible charge on the jobsite who are aspiring
to this role. The supervisor will often be called upon to make a judgment as
to the capabilities of the practitioner in the process of documenting their
experience.

                YEARS OF EXPERIENCE: 1 year of experience = one year in a
responsible role on the job installing PV systems, in the role of foreman,
supervisor, site manager, or experienced worker performing PV trade without
direct supervision.  This year must include installation of at least two PV
systems totaling 1KW.  At least one installation each year must be a system
with an inverter and subject to a complete electrical permitting and
inspection process by a permitting authority or, in the absence of such, a
utility.

A final note I'd like to make is that NABCEP certification will not be a
"licence".  Amore clear description would be "a recognized certificate of
professional competence with regards to PV installations".

If I can answer any questions or be of assistance on this matter please
don't hesitate to contact me.

Ezra Auerbach
250 333 8650