thermomax vs flat plates [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 16 21:03:04 PDT 2002

Hi Jay,

Most installers and testing agencies of SDHW collectors in the NW had
concluded years ago that in our climate (W.Wash, which is still a little
cooler than yours), that black chrome or some selective surface was well
worth the money in added performance. This is especially true if you are
using an open loop system, as it goes a long way toward reducing
freezing damage in otherwise unprotected or poorly protected collectors.
I have never frozen my collector in 20 years of use with an open loop,
and am pretty sure I would have a few times with a painted absorber. (It
might freeze tonight, do I leave the party early to get home to drain
the collector?)

Solar Engineering Services (early Applied Power) installed some
progressive tube collectors at Tern Island in the middle of the Pacific
in 1987 and they are still going strong. I think they would not be as
good in a cooler climate unless you can use the water in the evening.

Another tip, if using two tanks in a system, is to keep the distance
between them at a minumum so that when a small amount of hot water is
drawn in the house, some solar heated water actually gets to the backup
tank. This is hard to do with a integral tank system. Again, from the
point of view where we need the backup tank often and never bypass it.

It looks like the Heliodyne GOBI collectors are top quality, anyone with
experience?

Brad Bassett

Jay Peltz, Peltz Power wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I take it that you are not  big in favor of the tubes.  So let me ask
> you this.
>
> I'm in Northern california, near the coast ( 15 miles)  Winter-- lots of
> overcast and rain, temps in the 40's-50's as low.  Summer mostly clear,
> with
> temps from 85-105.
>
> 1.Which flat plat collectors do your recommend.?
> 2. Do you recommend chrome or black paint
> 3. What about the progressive tube?
> 4. What have I forgot to include here?
>
> Thanks for all your input,
>
> jay