600 VDC switches [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 10 20:09:26 PDT 2002

EH,

I don't know who you talked with at Sq D but I'm pretty certain that
switch is NOT rated for 600 VDC through one pole! Michael D. contacted
engineers at both Sq D and GE about 600VDC switches and got the same
answer from both. One pole might break the 600VDC under some conditions,
but two poles are necessary for consistant performance with the amperage
rating of the switch.

The Sq D guy was right that you do not have to wire the OUTSIDE poles,
just two poles, and they can be adjacent poles, indeed this is how GE
wires them at the factory. Maybe this confused the guy at Sq D, and when
he gets back to you about the number of positives, he will have got to
the root of this and found out that it is only one. This leaves one pole
of the three unused, but we haven't figured out what to do with it
except let it sit there.

I think that this list is a good forum for spreading info like this, and
hope this will keep anyone else from the mistake of mis-wiring these
switches, and it's attendant hazard.

Brad

EH Roy wrote:
> Brad,
>
> I remember that arcing problem, but don't remember the brand of
> disconnect
> it occurred in.
>
> Square D technical support tells me I don't have to wire two outside
> poles
> in series to get a 600VDC rating on their HU361 - switching of one
> positive
> through one pole is appropriate and covered by the UL listing. They are
> still scratching their heads about how many positives can be switched in
> one
> disconnect.

Brad Bassett
Schott Applied Power