600 VDC switches [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater, Ecovillage Design clrwater at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 10 21:17:56 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Hey Brad and all,

On the recent Sunny Boy install I used all three poles of the HU361
to switch the positive.  In one lug, then two jumpers, out the last
lug.  Seems like if they are there, why not use them.  Then the arc
is broken three times.  Strikes me that they may be rated even higher
with this scheme.  What ya think?

Jeff

>EH,
>
>I don't know who you talked with at Sq D but I'm pretty certain that
>switch is NOT rated for 600 VDC through one pole! Michael D. contacted
>engineers at both Sq D and GE about 600VDC switches and got the same
>answer from both. One pole might break the 600VDC under some conditions,
>but two poles are necessary for consistant performance with the amperage
>rating of the switch.
>
>The Sq D guy was right that you do not have to wire the OUTSIDE poles,
>just two poles, and they can be adjacent poles, indeed this is how GE
>wires them at the factory. Maybe this confused the guy at Sq D, and when
>he gets back to you about the number of positives, he will have got to
>the root of this and found out that it is only one. This leaves one pole
>of the three unused, but we haven't figured out what to do with it
>except let it sit there.
>
>I think that this list is a good forum for spreading info like this, and
>hope this will keep anyone else from the mistake of mis-wiring these
>switches, and it's attendant hazard.
>
>Brad
>

>EH Roy wrote:
>>  Brad,
>>
>>  I remember that arcing problem, but don't remember the brand of
>>  disconnect
>>  it occurred in.
>>
>>  Square D technical support tells me I don't have to wire two outside
>>  poles
>>  in series to get a 600VDC rating on their HU361 - switching of one
>>  positive
>>  through one pole is appropriate and covered by the UL listing. They are
>>  still scratching their heads about how many positives can be switched in
>>  one
>>  disconnect.
>>

>Brad Bassett
>Schott Applied Power
>Tumwater, WA office
>bsbassett at earthlink.net
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Design Associates - Whole Systems Design
Community and Village Scale Renewable Energy & Water Systems

Cell: 720-480-8455
Office:  800-440-2523 (PIN-7071)
Fax:  720-528-7813
jeffc at ic.org

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Advisory Board - Living Routes - Ecovillage Education -
http://www.livingroutes.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com