Quandry(was Help needed in Tuolumne County) [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Tue Oct 1 09:48:07 PDT 2002

At 08:34 AM 10/1/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Matt, etal,
>
>What we need, IMO, is a national or
>international organization like IPP, SEIA, or ??, that is funded to
>the point where we can have a listing in every phone book with an
>800#. A computer at the other end where you can key in your Zip Code
>and get a list of member Wrenches within 100 miles or whatever.

>Best, bob-O

Comrades:

This is a quandry!

It sounds like this woman has, in a round about way, connected with the
organization that Bob-O describes, or as close to it as currently exists--
the wrenches list.  Yet I don't believe that anyone has agreed to go and
meet this woman and see if her problems can be resolved.  What do we do
about that?

Here is a customer that needs experienced help, yet it appears she's too
far from anyone with experience.  Do we have an obligation for one of us to
put aside our busy schedules and easy money on local jobs and come to this
woman's aid?

On the other side of the coin, maybe this is one of these customers who
just can't be pleased.  I wonder how the statement originated regarding the
"string of bad wrenches"?

My quandry occurs when I have to charge a remote customer hundreds of
dollars more to install a system than I would someone who lives closer.  I
do realize that anyone moving to the country better understand it costs to
live remotely.

Several times I've proposed remote installations where I would supervise a
local electrician.  This would be done by arranging an initial site
meeting, I would specify equipment and plans and be available for telephone
consultations.  I would also make one or two visits as the job progressed.
None of these jobs jelled, but I still believe it is a valid concept.  (I
suspect several of them didn't jell because the local electrician got cocky
and told the customer they didn't need me).

If no one else has made arrangements with this customer, I'll call her and
see if I can help, using my remote management plan.  It is a 5 hour drive
for me (one way), but I have a network of friends in that area and maybe I
can assist.  If someone else is closer and would consider consulting, I
could hunt up an electrician to be the guy or gal on the ground, so to
speak.  Let me know.

William Miller

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com