the insanity of grounding DC side (was Re: DC-GFP/2 protection [RE-wrench

Hugh Piggott hugh.piggott at enterprise.net
Sun Aug 25 14:09:24 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
At 11:37 am -0700 24/8/02, Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services wrote:
>..... all metal chassis etc. need to be grounded so there is no potential
>between that and ground. It does not mean that you should ground one of the 2
>conductors on the DC side.... The potential only is between the 2 conductors
>and thus it is more safe.
>
>The reason why we have a grounded (bonded) conductor (I.E. the white neutral
>wire) system here in the USA, is to justify the use of a third
>ground wire which
>benefits the wire manufacturers and unions that install them.

How can you ground your equipment without that ground wire?  That
wire is to prevent any piece of metal around the system from getting
up to a different potential from any other piece of metal, or from
ground potential.  It's a good idea.  Prevents shocks.

>  Grounding one of
>the DC conductors does absolutely nothing to make systems any safer and IMO
>makes them much less safe.

If one conductor is grounded, then a fault in the other will
automatically take out the overcurrent protection (fuse or breaker)
and remove the supply.  Neat, simple solution.
--
Hugh

http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/

- - - -