the insanity of grounding DC side (was Re: DC-GFP/2 protection [RE-wrenches])

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Sat Aug 24 11:37:28 PDT 2002

Yes, I have also seen static charge buildups when the wind was blowing through
the local NPR stations 350' tall AM stick. With the xmitter off the air, we were
still getting 1/4" sparks off the ball gap an the bottom... but all this means
is that all metal chassis etc. need to be grounded so there is no potential
between that and ground. It does not mean that you should ground one of the 2
conductors on the DC side, nor does it do anything to make the case for "safer"
systems by grounding one of these conductors. I continue to maintain that
grounding one of a pair of conductors only makes systems less safe and people
more prone to shocks /electrocution.

As I said before, if a system is ungrounded the potential is *ONLY*  to the
other conductor. It will NOT "flash over"
to any other thing just because it is metal or grounded. That is the beauty not
having any conductors grounded. The potential only is between the 2 conductors
and thus it is more safe.

The reason why we have a grounded (bonded) conductor (I.E. the white neutral
wire) system here in the USA, is to justify the use of a third ground wire which
benefits the wire manufacturers and unions that install them. Grounding one of
the DC conductors does absolutely nothing to make systems any safer and IMO
makes them much less safe.

Todd

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com