PV orientation [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Thu Aug 22 15:45:54 PDT 2002

William,

Once the operating voltage is set by the dominant portion of the array, the
parallel strings still have a max power voltage that is nearly identical to
the array in full sun. It may seem counter-intuitive, but temperature
changes voltage, not irradiance (accept at very low irradiance).

The critical issue is that all the modules in a series string are in the
same orientation since the operating current needs to match exactly.
Parallel strings can be in different orientations with little negative
affect on performance since the operating voltage of each string is nearly
identical.

Bill.