PV orientation [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Thu Aug 22 14:58:19 PDT 2002

Now throw in this question:

Both arrays are fed into one GC1000 inverter with MPPT.  How will the MPPT

Allow me to speculate:  An MPPT device is basically a variable load
resistance.  The load impedance is lowered gradually while monitoring amps
and volts for maximum power.  In the morning, the east array will have the
most current capability, so the MPPT loads it heavily.  The load is that
same for both arrays, so the array with off axis sun will be loaded too
heavily, further reducing it's output. While mid day sun is equal for both
arrays, afternoon sun will of course be the converse of the morning scenario.

This problem may well erase any gains made by MPPT tracking, but I'd like
to know for certain.  Could it be that non-MPPT controls might produce more
output in this situation.  And we all know that all MPPT circuits are not
equal.

I was hoping someone some way of monitoring a system such as this, but it
would require tracking both arrays, I imagine.

William

At 01:56 PM 8/22/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Marco:
>
>The info's right there bro.
>
>1/2 the array East at 15 Degrees = 0.5 * 0.88 = 0.44
>1/2 the array West at 15 Degrees = 0.5 * 0.88 = 0.44
>
>                          Total for the array = 0.88
>
>In our case this assumes that the entire series string is on one
>orientation.
>If you wire it so that 1/2 the series string faces East and the other
>half West you will get MUCH less power.
>
>If you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance,
>please do not hesitate to contact me.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>John Berdner
>
>SMA America, Inc.
>20830 Red Dog Road
>Grass Valley, CA  95945
>530.273.4595 (voice)
>530.274.7271 (fax)

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com