Hypalon Cable [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue Jul 23 09:07:30 PDT 2002

Bob-O,

As we put this issue to rest, in my mind it has far more to do with keeping
things simple for the inspectors than it does politics. Our current battery
systems are far too complex for inspectors to know whether the right
batteries are being used and the right conductors, and overcurrent
protection, and trays, and enclosures, and ventilation, and..., and.... This
is not a good situation at all. Inspectors hate it because they now have to
figure out whether you are a good wrench and know what you are doing, or
whether you are a moron and now have put the home and the owner at risk.

Ultimately we need fully listed battery systems (very soon) if we are going
to get to the point of broad acceptance and the type of even treatment we
want from our building officials. Outback Power and Xantrex seem to be
breaking some ground in this area and it is about time. The inspector would
like to be able to look at a battery system, see the ETL label on the side
showing that it is a listed system, and then all they need to inspect is
that the system is installed according to the directions. All the conductors
(or busbars or uninsulated cable, or welding cable) , and overcurrent
protection are part of the system. That is my goal and until we get there we
are going to be farting around with these less significant issues for years
to come. I'm done.

Bill.