Hypalon Cable [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Tue Jul 23 07:32:16 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Bill,
Of course the NFPA who is totally and incestuously abed with UL is
not going to change their mind on welding cable. What WE all need to
realize is that it has far more to do with politics than safety,
which is driving that decision. When I say we Bill, I mean you too.
Your inspector seminars and course book stress in the strongest terms
that non-UL cable for batteries is unacceptable. Nothing in your talk
modifies that with a dose of field reality in any way. That stance,
as much as the NFPA's, is what will keep the cost of an RE system
beyond the grasp of some for many years. If you're not part of the
solution.....
Bob-O

>Having seen this installation I can tell you the wire was not abused. No
>amount of discussion will sway the code making panel on this issue, so we
>look for other issues that need more attention and have a greater impact.
>I'm done on this issue and I wish Drake the best with his proposal. If I
>were a better person (which I'm not) I would be willing to bet that the
>proposal for welding cable will not succeed because they will point out that
>the code already has a very well-defined wire marking system and something
>listed as welding cable alone cannot possibly cover the testing requirements
>for batteries and conduit. Whether you agree with Drake or not will not
>change the reality. The NEC is not an existential document no matter how
>much we may want it to be.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm