Hypalon Cable [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Fri Jul 19 12:40:34 PDT 2002

Joel,

The suitability of welding cable is based on years of experience with folks
that have used and it held up okay. That is not the type of testing that
most jurisdictions accept (however valid it may be). Case in point, I
visited a large PV system in San Diego several months ago that had been in
operation for nearly 20 years with exposed THWN wire run between the
modules. It was a high voltage system and had not ground-faulted yet. From
this 20-year field test, does this allow me to jump to the conclusion that
THWN wire is suitable for module interconnects. Absolutely not, unless I can
show that this wire was tested and listed as sunlight resistant and allowed
to be installed outside of conduit (neither of which is true in this case).

Bill.