AC/DC in Same Conduit? [RE-wrenches]

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Thu Jul 11 14:00:26 PDT 2002

David/Bill:

I don't think the Harmonic coupling is an issue for the inverter because
of all the dc input filtering.  Dc does not couple to ac and any ac
noise is filtered by the caps.

Generally we suggest keeping the DC run short for two reasons:

1) Sometimes the inspector will require a dc disconnect at the array and
a second one at the inverter if they are too far apart.  This adds
significant extra cost.  If you have a long ac run you can use a single
2 pole breaker in a box (ala Square D AC disconnect) at the inverter and
then the utility required disconnect at the service location.

2) If you have a long dc run then the inverter has a longer "antenna" on
the dc sides to pick up lightning.  With short dc runs we normally do
not recommend any lightning protection on the dc side but with longer
run it   >> might << be a good idea.  Since I don't think there are UL
Listed arrestor at 600 Vdc (Delta LA 600 series is as close as you get -
RU for ac only) this can be a little bit of an inspector problem.

On the wiring cost issue:  The currents on the ac and dc side are
similar so it probably isn't really an issue.  One could argue that
voltage drop on the dc side is slightly better since this just reduces
performance a little bit but, IMHO, you would almost the same amount on
the ac side anyway.

On the ac side however, voltage drop becomes voltage rise which can
narrow the IEEE 929 window (from the inverter perspective).  This is
usually only an issue if you have a utility voltage that is running high
to begin with.  Lately several installers have been reporting that PG&E
is running at up to 250 Vac.  Add a little voltage rise to drive the
current back into the grid and a little bit more for voltage drop in the
wiring and you are at the IEEE 929 limit of 264 (we trip off at about
262 to 263 by the way).  PG&E will tell you tough luck since their spec
is 252 or less.

If you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance,
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

SMA America, Inc.