Service Contracts- was - Warranty transfer [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Wed Jul 3 19:24:29 PDT 2002

Mo,

I need to make this brief, since it time to start relaxing for our
independence day holiday.

Compelling preventative maintenance letters typically focus on
increasing system efficiency and longevity.  This is fairly easy to do
with thermal systems (especially older systems) which should be
periodically flushed, cleaned, tested and in general inspected.  The
difficult part for me would be wording a compelling service agreement
when part of the persuasion of the initial sale is that PV systems are
"virtually maintenance free".

Regarding your statement that "I'm in this for the long haul (I've bet
my retirement on it)".  Congratulations!  We're in the same boat
together. This brings me back to the mandatory full five year warranty.
This is unwanted baggage that decreases the value of our companies, in
the eye's of bankers.  Your service contracts may equalize the equation.
I have given this allot of thought in the past 18 months, and since I
have no desire to leave my growing business, I add what I consider a
reasonable charge for the extended warranty into the installation price.
Most trade contractors give a full 1 year warranty on their workmanship
and charge a service fee after one year when a component under a
manufacturer's warranty needs service or replacement.  I add a price
(which I wont make public) per watt x four years.  My customers get
service for free for 5 years, at least that's the way they perceive it.

You also mentioned creating a company with value.  You are valuable, not
only for your company but also for our industry as a whole.  In the
current age of corporate scandal, greed and corruption, comments like
yours and Holt Kelly's are refreshing. It's kind of scary what our so
called captains of industry have been up to.  Hopefully this type of
deception has not permeated the world banking community because that
will bring down the pillars.

Happy 4th of July,

Graham

P.S. There is some service info on this page, I haven't started adding
PV to the repair section of the web site yet.
http://www.solarexpert.com/Repair.html

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm