Wrench List Housekeeping [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Thu Jul 4 10:56:37 PDT 2002

Hello gang. I've gotten complaints that the "signal to noise" ratio is getting worse on the list. As an experiment, I've been very hands-off for the last few months (plus I've been way busy with other stuff). It has worked out pretty well, but now I see that things are slowly starting to get a little noisier. Time for a few reminders.

Everyone, please review the list's etiquette guidelines at http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Also, several of you have not yet filled out the form for your member profiles. Please do so at: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/survey.htm

The rest of you may want to review the info listed for you, in case it needs changes. (Thanks to Sharkey for this wonderful service. Sharkey is busy too, so be patient about seeing your new or updated info posted.)

As a quick refresher, please remember that we try hard to keep the list both on-topic and succinct. Toward that end here is a partial guidelines list:
1. Avoid "me toos" like chiming in with "I agree with that statement" on list.
2. No jokes or storytelling on list, though incorporating humor into your otherwise on-topic posts is not discouraged (see #10 below).
3. No virus alerts.
4. No product sales or any other marketing.
5. This is mainly a technical list, though there have been a lot of market strategy posts recently. The RE Marketing list was set up to help keep this list unclogged. To join that list, send a message to:
RE-Markets-subscribe at topica.com
6. When one of us is surveying you all for info, send your info to the person gathering the info, not to the entire list. Then, if appropriate, the gatherer can compile or summarize the received info and post it to the list when completed.
7. Do not send files to the list. Rather, if you have something important to share, offer the files to anyone that wants them by contacting you off-list. Another acceptable strategy is to upload files to a web or public ftp site, and then offer the download URL to the Wrenches List.
8. When replying to other posts, please quote a portion of the original, and only the portion that is relevant to your reply. For sure, always edit out the extraneous stuff at the bottom of the posts.
9. Do not "flame" other list members. Try to keep your posts positive and upbeat.
10. As thanks for my work on the list, send a 100 watt module to me right away.

Any questions (like where to send that module)? Please contact me off list.

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Children are born with an innate sense of justice; it usually takes 12 years of public schooling and 4 more years of college to beat it out of them."
			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com
     Home Power magazine
     www.homepower.com