Battery types & distribution, over time [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Fri Jun 28 07:40:03 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Andy,
Advice about batteries should be taken with the same sort of caution
as advice on the stock market. That being said, I've always thought
that I will take a close to equalization charge anytime I can get it.
That can get tricky with hydro or a really good wind site. I had one
guy deplete a set of Hcaps in three years due to constant
overcharging with an exuberant hydro system. It also depends on your
type of regulation, your PV to battery charging ratio, and whether or
not you use temperature sensors with your regulator. With a slam-bang
(on to off to on again with no PWM) type of regulator, you pretty
much NEED to go that high to get the batts full.
I would set the voltage at close to 30V (who does 12V systems
anymore?) in the average PV system where the PV charge rate is <C20.
I do not recommend that set point for generator charging at all
unless you are PLANNING to do an EQ charge and are more or less
monitoring it.
The reduced watering is good, so is the reduced free hydrogen in the
battery compartment, but the thing I like best about using Hcaps is
how clean they keep the tops of the batteries given the high
regulation voltages I use. Regulating @ close to 30V without them
would get icky in a hurry.
Best, bob-O

>So Bob-O, would you be suggesting that higher bulk voltages (15VDC per 12
>volter perhaps?)
>could substantially reduce the need for equalization?
>
>>Since I also use Hydrocaps, frequent watering isn't needed for the first
>five years or so until the Hcaps start to deplete.>
>At ~$20? per year for Hydrocaps on an average battery bank that seems like a
>decent investment, given the labor time involved in watering!

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com