Trace 4000 SW vs. 1HP 220v well pump [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Jun 14 14:41:22 PDT 2002

> Chris Worcester wrote: What is the surge on the OutBack, anyone know?

The surge on the OutBack X240 autotransformer is limited by the 25 amp
circuit breaker provided with the transformer.  You can easily trip it
if the load on the 240 vac side is to large.  This gets tricky when
using the transformer at 6 kW with the fan - but the breaker we are
providing in the current production kits is a 100% continuous rated
hydralic-magnetic breaker - not a thermal square D QOU type (rated at
80% continuous) type provided with the T240. If you got one of the first
kits with the QOU breaker let me know and I will upgrade you to the
Hydralic breaker at no charge.

The addition of the fan on the x240 (or t240) would improve the
performance similarly.  Our transformer was tested with and without the
fan (4 and 6 kW ratings).

The real issue on "surge" ability with a step up transformer is that
some voltage drop occurs through it when carrying high currents.  This
can cause the motor to draw even more power for a longer period of time,
 which can then cause more voltage drop ... and so on...

The best method for estimating the suitability of an inverter/pump combo
is to either get the Locked Rotor Amp rating (LRA) from the manufacturer
or measure it with a Fluke 87 or 89 with a clamp meter if installed.
The fluke should be used at both 1 mSec and 100 mSec settings and the
pump should be started several times and the highest number used.

The SW4000 can provided about 100 amps max for the 1 mSec peak number
and 78 amps for the 100 mSec RMS number.  The pump needs to draw less
than this by at least 20% to be safe.  The inverter will surge to lower
levels when hot (like after battery charging) so even if the pump is
below the above levels you can run into problems.

I have also had good success with Allen-Bradley Starting Torque
Controllers (STCs)in the past to start motors that were not within the
ability of the SW.  They are made for conveyor belts motors to reduce
shock loading on start up.  Another option is to parallel or series a
second SW but that gets expensive and is often difficult to fit unless
planned for.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com