Module grounding [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Sat Jun 8 17:22:48 PDT 2002

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the kind works about posting the photo's, I was hoping it
would be OK.  I have been taking digital pictures of almost all of my
installations at various stages of completion and I am more than willing
to share this information.  I want to show how easy it really is to
install a quality residential PV grid tie system.  There seems to be a
big push at this time to have PV installers certified as being capable.
I have seen the most recent draft from NABCEP and it appears to me that
many accomplished Wrenches would not qualify.  The committee drafting
the NABCEP certification might be making the requirements to technical
in nature.  I am currently helping the Mayor's office in L.A. develop a
PV training course for a local college and everyone on the committee has
to add something, even if may seem unnecessary to others.  I remember
the old saying that "a camel is a horse that came out of a committee".

Personally I think residential grid-tie solar installers should consider
installing PV systems pre-designed by manufacturers engineering staff.
Let them study fill factors and IV curves and be familiar with the
technical engineering knowledge that is needed to design effective PV
systems. It should be the systems not the installers that need rigorous
approvals.  PV installers need to know how to work safely with tools,
how to locate roof rafters, be familiar with electric code issues and to
take pride in their workmanship.  Workers with good electrical skills
can properly install PV systems when manufacturers present comprehensive
installation manuals with well-matched components including guidelines
for determining proper wire gauges, grounding and orientation.  I fully
realize that every job site presents different challenges and no two
systems are completely identical.  Installers need to focus on how to do
the best installation possible at each jobsite and how to choose the
best-packaged system for their customer.  I have been installing Siemens
earthsafe systems for a number of reasons, inverters have an extended 10
year warranty, I like the mounting hardware, they are available locally
and my customers have confidence that a system designed by a large
multi-national corporation will be well designed and will stand behind
their products.

I have been thinking about making a comprehensive installation manual
and putting it on my website.  The time it will take is the only
obstacle.  I would love to see L.A. have 100,000 solar rooftops and I
have no desire to try and do them all.  But I would be willing to share
my experience if it helps newcomers to install quality systems.

Graham F. Owen
GO Solar Company
12439 Magnolia Blvd. #132
N. Hollywood,  CA  91607