Installer Certification (was module grounding) [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Jun 10 16:05:11 PDT 2002

Graham,
I respect the opinion you expressed here about NABCEP. I continue to
observe, however, that despite the purported ease with which PV systems can
be installed, they are mis-installed far too often, with errors ranging from
the merely sloppy to the possibly dangerous.

While the development of "plug-and-play" systems will simplify the
installation process, installer knowledge and skills will still be
important, especially in atypical or custom installations.  Voluntary
certification allows skilled installers to distinguish themselves-- and
allows consumers to seek those quality installers out when the work merits
it. At the same time, voluntary certification leaves the field open for
installers who do not choose to be certified. Systems that are truly
pre-engineered may not need the same level of knowledge that complex
individual systems need.

There seems to be confusion between a certification program, which is
voluntary, and state licensure. Some states already have licensure
requirements (CA, OR, FL... for example). Licensure programs may or may not
validate the skills and knowledge of installers, as Bob-O and others have
pointed out -- it depends on the license requirements, the quality of the
exam, how old the requirements are, etc. However, licensure programs DEMAND
that practitioner meet the licensure requirements before being allowed to
pull permits. A voluntary certification program (in any  industry) is
designed to distinguish those professionals who meet quality standards, not
to control access to the field. High-quality certification programs may,
over time, become so widely accepted that competent professionals must seek
them out (like ASE certification for auto mechanics or CCO certification for
crane operators), further validating the value of voluntary certification.
But this happens only over time as consumer demand and other market forces
validate the certification program. The creation of a voluntary
certification for solar installers will not cut us Wrenches off from our
customers, nor will it drive up costs in and of itself. In fact, the more
quality installers there are, the more costs will be reduced (as skilled
installers can do the installation more quickly, and do it right the first
time). The more quality installers there are, the more predictable
installation quality and performance will be, leading to increased consumer
confidence and market enhancement.

There are many variables involved in quality PV installation, including
hardware certification, quality instruction manuals and technical support,
system design, and access to effective training. Certification is only one
piece of the puzzle, and it addresses some of these variables by validating
training and skills.

The NABCEP Tech Committee is currently working on a second draft of the PV
installer prerequisites, which will be released for comment soon. The Tech
Committee took into consideration the 350+ comments received on the first
draft, including comments from several Wrenches, and has made significant
changes to the proposed entry requirements.

Allan at Positive Energy
member of Tech Committee for NABCEP