IBEW's need for a huge jug of prune juice [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty pvpro at attbi.com
Sun Jun 2 14:43:55 PDT 2002

Jeff / Wrenches:

I, too, have had similar experiences.  I teach a 3-day, Contractor's Only,
Grid-Tied Only, course.  I do this outside of my "Day Job", through a
non-profit energy efficiency organization.

They originally approached me with the idea of "General Public" training.  I
was able to convince them that the real, broadbased impact would be better
directed to Electrical Contractors unless the course was a month-long affair
(I wouldn't put my personal name on the course if I wasn't convinced that I
was able to "get the point accross".)

The relationship of "Amps/Volts/Watts" & "Series/Paralell" circuits is
literally foreign to these guys/gals (Yes, a couple of gals do attend, in
fact, one of them is my girlfriend now, but that's another story!  Pictures
available at......just kidding!  :-)  )

I have modified the course in its content and the timing of the presentation
to address this.  The feedback I get from the class and the support I offer
afterward is extremely important to me.  I, too, believe that electricians
are and will be a significant "backbone" of the installations of PV and need
guidance initially.  My hope is that the information they receive leads them
to follow up, ask questions where they aren't sure, and succeed in their
endeavor to add PV to the services & products they offer their customers.

I further believe that if those of us with the proper experience acknowledge
and accept the responsibility to guide the newcomers, we and our industry as
a whole stands a better chance of success.

On the topic of common sense, I defer to a statement I made to my
grandfather when I was about 12......"Why do they call it common sense when
it is so uncommon".

Pray for Sun!

-Matt Lafferty
pvpro at attbi.com